Monday, 21 January 2013

The Wellington girls meet up again, hurrah, hurrah...

Oh yes, us kiwi girls met up again for another wonderful afternoon of sewing natter, delicious food, and then the brave ventured off to Global Fabrics in search of silk to add to our stash. HEY. They were having a really good sale. And I never swore off fabric as a resolution. It's my vice.

Top row, left to right: Kat, Emily, Mrs C, and yours truly
Bottom row, left to right: Jo, Mel, Nikki

We met at the Wellington Botanic Gardens, and started off with a coffee, before finding us a lovely spot in 'The Dell' for a picnic. And my gosh, this was some picnic!


We had calzone, scones, roquefort chhese, pate, quiche, tapenade, cherry tomatoes, tarts and chicken sandwiches (my contribution), grape juice, and plenty of chatter.

To my horror, the cream tops on my tarts melted in the heat. Still tasty though.

And oh boy, the sun was in full command of the sky - it was HOT! So apologies for my rather glarey photos, I did my best.


It is always so good to see people who share the same interest! Each of these ladies is amazing, I really enjoyed our time together. We cooed at young Drake (he is serious bebe), and I got the dubious honour of giving him his first whiff of blue cheese. He pushed it away... ah well, more for us.

The aftermath.
We were all going to wear something that we mnade from our last meet, but after many emails it became apparent that our various projects were going awry. So 'get out of sewing free' cards were agreed upon for those of us who had a disaster. Mine was a disaster, as was Mel's. Nikki and Jo made beautiful garments. Their posts should be up soon - go and have a look-see!

After lunch we got photos of some of our new makes, and then Mel and I decided that it was high time for a stop to add to the stash. Others promptly took their leave - it seems fabric buying is a bit of a no-no now - understandable, as Global ain't cheap. 

Off we went, where I bought me some soft, gauzy silk to match my scallop skirt, some gorgeous blue Japanese cotton to make a shirt to go with my houndstooth skirt (no, House of Pinheiro - I haven't forgotten my #sewingdare), and then some other fabric that I have long admired and yet it has never made it to the cutting bench when I am buying. It's likely to end up as a copy of this Modcloth Fave... cool, huh?


It was a great day - I had so much fun, and I can't wait to meet up again! Next time I'll remember to pack my swap fabric and patterns BEFORE driving the 2 hours to get down... duh....

15 comments:

  1. Aww what a fantastic day. Meet ups are so fun.. Yeahh I like the fabric for your top x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's gorgeous and crisp, I just have to match to a pattern now. It was such fun - we're already looking forward to our next meet!

      Delete
  2. Great day with like-minded friends - nothing better! Love your fabric buys...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really good to see people who share an interest, and don't ask the obvious question...

      Delete
  3. Oh it all looks so fun! I'm friends with Kat IRL - she invited me to this meet up but unfortunately I couldn't make it. I am really hoping to come along to the next one too.

    Also I'll be with you on buying the new fabric - I don't drink, try to eat healthy (so chocolate is off the menu), exercise regularly and I don't drink coffee like most of Wellingtonians - so I need a vice and fabric shopping it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, you must come to the next one! It's such fun! Mel from Curious Kiwi has some great thoughts about fabric stashing - hopefully she'll share with the world soon!

      Delete
  4. Whawhawhaaaaa? You went fabric shopping afterwards and I miss out, noooooo! lol! It was a very fun time and a delicious time too! You've got some great photos too! Looking forward to the next one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ran off so fast! Next time, I promise I'll drag you along :)

      Delete
    2. Next time! :) I would have stayed if I wasn't relying on Emily to get me home! :)

      Delete
    3. Nothing quite like a quiet little fabric shopping/enabling spree ;)

      You know that pink/blue stripy fabric I bought smelt so baaaad! But I pre-washed it straight away (aren't I good?!) and it doesn't smell at all now, phew!

      You guys all got your posts up so quickly! I better hurry up, stupid work, getting in the way of blogging, how dare it ;)

      Delete
  5. Your tarts look lovely and color my jealous on the fabric purchases!

    When you mentioned "Drake" I totally thought you were referring to the hip-hop artist for a good long while. Things got a bit fuzzy when I got to the bit about bleu cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, pretty pretty fabrics! I love that turquoise you've got going on there - that'll look fabulous on you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous fabrics! And what a fun, happy group of sewists! Oh, and yes, I think I'll take a few tarts, since you're offering...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing like a group of Kiwi girls having a great time with food and fabric! Looks like a fabulous day and I do like your new fabrics. Global is called The Fabric Store over here in Australia and the sale is on here as well. I bought a similar teal fabric as you for a shirt in the sale. Look forward to seeing what you sew next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh that looks so darn delicious! What a lovely way to spend the day, too :) That blue japanese cotton is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your kind words and sage advice! Please and thank you for dropping me a line!